Summer is here and whether you are a professional or amateur photographer, you might well have a holiday booked. BUT have you got your camera insurance sorted out too?
Nicked Nikons, Looted Leicas, Pilfered Pentax
and Kidnapped Canons
Our resident number crunching statistician has been rummaging through our 2014 camera insurance from both Kamkit and E&L UK camera insurance claims statistics and this month has been looking specifically at holiday related claims. Here are the results in both infographic (scroll down or click here) and blog post form depending on your preference.
We always like some context to our statistics and according to ABTA 53% of UK consumers took at least one holiday in 2014 and 43% of holidays abroad were city breaks.
Amateur vs professional: photographers on tour!
We don’t know of any way of spotting the difference between an amateur or professional photographer whilst on holiday but it would seem that many a savvy thief can because:
- Amateur photographers were THREE TIMES more likely to make a photography insurance claim for camera theft on holiday
- Amateur photographers’ claims were over 50% HIGHER than that of a professional at £1245 on average
To be clear, we are talking specifically about photographers on holiday and not professionals working abroad.
Holiday camera insurance case studies…
… adding some colour to the black and white facts
Our camera thefts were not all subtle subterfuge, in fact sadly some were far from it – a few of the more notable claims from around the world were as follows:
- Case Study A: Our fated photographer was held up at gunpoint in a busy central market in Mexico. Claim settled for £955.
- Case Study B: In Iran a crooked taxi driver sped off with our claimant’s kit. Claim settled for £600.
- Case Study C: Our biggest successful claim was for a straightforward theft in Cambodia for two cameras and equipment to the tune of £5266.
If you are travelling and considering camera insurance, then you might be interested to know that Kamkit include Worldwide Cover as standard. Click here to find out more and get a free no-strings camera insurance quote in minutes.